June 10, 2014

Like a Fancy Pen

I roll a metal tube between my fingers on my desk. It's like a fancy pen found on a CEO's desk and I imagine my name on it for a moment.

I stop rolling the tube and look at glass window near its top. A viscous amber fluid begins to settle. No, this is not a fancy pen, it's a personal vaporizer.

Quitting for 12 years

I've tried to stop smoking several times. To my best memory, the longest I went without as about 6 months in 2008. Still, I'd always come back to it during times of great stress. Could this "Vape Pen" help me kick the habit for good?

I stared at the vaporizer and reminisced on how it all started.

2002, Monterey California, Defense Language Institute. For every waking hour, there was 50 minutes of foreign language immersion shoveled into your mind. Between these linguistic water-boarding sessions of the mind, they allowed a 10 minute break to regain psychological consciousness. They were generous.

During these breaks, I had to escape. I had to get some fresh air. The cool crisp air off the Pacific ocean would find me on the balcony. That's when I discovered it. The smoke pit.

The smokers gathered together around it in the warm Californian sun while I shivered from the cool Pacific breeze in the shade. What's more, I overheard them sharing fantastic stories but it wasn't the just stories that intrigued me. It was the only place I could speak in English during the day.

I found myself with them, listening and sharing my own stories when one of them offered me a cigarette. I declined and repeatedly declined for about a month.

However testing week came upon us. It was a great big ball stress. If you make low marks, you could be transferred to somewhere dreadful. Somewhere without the crisp Pacific breeze. Without the welcoming warm sun. Without my friends. I needed to settle down. I accepted my first cigarette.

For the next month I had only 1 cigarette a day. I wasn't a smoker, I was just being social with my friends and work was stressful. Right?

Fast forward

I purchased my first vaporizer on May 19th from The Vapor Port (now closed). It's a small business in La Porte ran by a guy named Tommy Smith in his garage. We ended up talking for hours about everything and I left with a starter kit, a bottle of King's Kustard, and a load optimism.


I smoked 2 more cigarettes that same night.

Tuesday, I smoked 4 more cigarettes, better than the usual 8. I really tried to use the vaporizer. It was a rough day for me.

Wednesday, I ran out of smokes at lunch time. I really considered getting one more pack but I resisted and clung to that vaporizer. I haven't bought a pack since. I wish I could say it was easy but It wasn't as difficult as I feared.

Of course, I did have a great support network.

  • My wife and kids.
  • My mom, first in family to join the vaping community.
  • My coworker, Justin Sibit, referring me to Tommy.
  • Tommy Smith of The Vapor Port, closing the deal.
  • Wade Carpenter and family of Tex-Smoke (now T.S. Vapin), getting me to 0 mg nicotine.
  • Everyone on Facebook who likes my smoke free status.

Thank you!

Fast Forward 1 More Year

It's been over a year since I quit. I've had a few cigarettes but they made me sick to my stomach. I still think about having one from time to time. Does that mean I'm still addicted? No more than I'm addicted to dessert.

What's more, I don't use the personal vaporizer anymore. I couldn't quit smoke for 12 years but I could switch habits in under a week. 3 months later, I was down to 0 mg of nicotine. I've been pretty much nicotine free for a year now. WOW!

Is it your turn?

Do you smoke cigarettes? Have you been trying to quit? Maybe a personal vaporizer can help you too. I swear by mine.

Not only am I healthier, I also have more money because of it. In fact, it's paid for itself many times over. Here's an estimate of what I've saved so far.

Amazing!

I highly recommend the Aspire Nautilus Atomizer. I have one and my mom was so impressed with it, she got one too. It's well worth the small investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment